What we’re looking for:
Our goal is to provide customers with feature-rich and stable foundations which allow them to propel their online businesses to high levels of success. We focus primarily on eCommerce, membership, and affiliate marketing platforms built on top of WordPress.
You’ll love this job if:
- You are a developer that enjoys creating and working on large, feature-rich platforms.
- You enjoy working remotely, whether from home, the local coffee shop, or even the beach.
- You value free time and freedom away from work for family, friends, and personal life.
- You work well with others in collaborative environments.
- You are self-driven, motivated, and love making systems better.
- You strive to achieve high performance.
Job perks and benefits:
We aim to create a wonderful place to work that is designed around promoting personal and professional growth. We are committed to our team’s future, freedom, and time.
As a junior developer and an employee of Sandhills Development, you will be guaranteed the following benefits:
- A minimum starting salary of $43,183.47 USD plus all benefits below.
- 8 weeks fully paid parental leave.
- Full health insurance coverage.
- Charitable donations on your behalf on your annual work anniversary.
- 401K with a 2% employer match or comparable retirement contributions.
- Access to learning material, including books and education sites for professional improvement.
- Free licenses to all of our products.
- An equipment and technology allowance to ensure you have the tools you need to do well at your job.
- A dedicated mentor and training to help you learn and grow at Sandhills Development.
- “Sipscription” for coffee, wine, or beer delivered regularly to your front door.
- Annual employee profit share.
- Unlimited and fully paid sick and bereavement leave.
- Unplugged bonus of $250 for taking a week off of work and fully disconnecting.
- Flexible vacation with fully paid and required time-off minimums.
- Annual travel budget for conferences, co-working, and other work trips.
- All-expenses paid trip to annual Sandhills Summit.
Our values and commitments:
We are a small team and a 100% bootstrapped company that has grown carefully and gradually over the last ten years. We have done that by being committed to our values and our people.
We are committed to equal pay and we value transparency. We value the time of our people and we believe in setting realistic expectations. We know that families always come first, and we prioritize diversity and inclusion.
You can read our complete commitments here.
What you’ll do:
Your primary responsibility will be to work as a member of our development team to build features and tackle bug reports for one or more of our products, including Easy Digital Downloads, AffiliateWP, Restrict Content Pro, WP Simple Pay, Sugar Calendar, and SellBird.
You will work along side our existing development, product, and support teams with a dedicated mentor. You can meet the team here.
- Handling and resolving bug reports on GitHub.
- Developing new features and enhancements for our products under the direction of the product team.
- Testing Pull Requests on GitHub from team members and 3rd party developers.
- Communicating with the support teams on common challenges, bugs, and needed features to help manage customer expectations.
What you’ll need:
- A code portfolio. Link us to your GitHub account, upload a .zip, or both.
- Proficiency with Git and GitHub.
- Ability to setup a local environment for testing PHP code.
- Excellent communication skills with written English.
- Ability to work remotely with all necessary tools (internet connection, computer, etc).
An average day at Sandhills:
It doesn’t have to be crazy at work. We strive to embrace a core ethos of calmness. To set the stage, here’s what an average day at Sandhills can look like:
- Start your work day based on your own scheduling needs.
- Say hi to your colleagues in Slack when you start your work day.
- Review tickets that may need your attention.
- Dive into your favorite IDE and a locally run instance of WordPress to make progress on some assigned GitHub issues.
- Join a colleague or two via Zoom for a brainstorming or mentoring session.
- Share your ideas on a GitHub issue thread.
- Share your cool music playlist or a picture of your pet in Slack whenever you feel like it.
- Take breaks for meals, exercise, reading, napping, or anything else you need whenever you want.
If you would like to work at Sandhills and wish to apply for this position, submit an application from our careers page.